Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Do you want to know God's Will?

In I Thessalonians 5, it says these things are "God's will for [true saving faith believers] in Christ Jesus"... so if you ever can't figure out God's will, start with what God says His will is for you in His Word. In context, this is primarily God's will for the body of Christ within their local assembly:
1. Be alert and sober (Prepare your minds for action!)

2. Fully armed and ready ("breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation."... In other words, STAND FIRM!)

3. encourage one another/ build one another up (Edify!)

4. appreciate those who diligently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction (Let them do their work with joy and not grief. Part of Appreciating them is not just expressing it verbally, but YOU, as a part of your church body, fulfilling God's will in these things we see here in I Thessalonians 5)

5. esteem them very highly in love because of their work (They are worthy of double honor)

6. Live in peace with one another (Be salty salt!)

7. admonish the unruly (busy-bodies, gossips, troublesome meddlers, unjust accusers, those that spread dissension and create contentious factions)

8. encourage the fainthearted (the anxious and fearful)

9. help the weak (yes, we are to help the orphans, widows, the oppressed, the needy, the feeble and the sick, but this Scripture actually specifically includes also "the weak in faith" according to Romans 14 and I Corinthians 8)

10. be patient with everyone (not just the one's that are easy to be patient with. See James 5:20 and Proverbs 10:12 and remember "love is patient")

11. See that no one repays another with evil for evil (I Peter 3:9)

12. ALWAYS seek after that which is good for one another and for all people (that which is good according to God, not man)

13. Rejoice always (no matter the trial, affliction, hardship... how? Because of that SURE HOPE IN CHRIST)

14. pray without ceasing (Ephesians 6:18)

15. in everything give thanks (even the trials, afflictions, hardships... they can be great reminders of that sure hope in Christ)

16. Do not quench the Spirit

17. do not despise prophetic utterances, But examine everything carefully (Be a Berean)

18. hold fast to that which is good (according to God and not man)

19. abstain from every form of evil (including that which gives the appearance of evil)
"Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.' Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass."-I Thess 5:23-24

Think about this... were you assuming that most of the above was the responsibility of just your Pastor, Elders and Deacons? According to God's Word, these things are the responsibility of the church body. They are "God's will for you in Christ Jesus"

1 comment:

  1. What?! You mean I don't have to "experience God" and "go where He's working" to be involved in God's will? I don't have to isolate myself for days on end in contemplative meditations using a lexio divina pattern to discern what He wants me to do? What about the Daniel Fast... shouldn't I be doing that so I can know God's will for my life?

    Sorry 'bout the tongue firmly embedded in my cheek, but your list is marvelous. If we would simply use the Book God gave us, we'd know His will for so much of our life that we'd stop being so silly in always asking, "How can I know God's will for my life?" I'll probably be copying this list and handing it to people whenever they ask me, "How can I know God's will for my life? Who does He want me to marry? What classes at school should I register for? Is this car in God's will for my life?"

    Thanks, Lisa.

    As always,
    By His Grace For His Glory.

    ReplyDelete